Amy,s Greatcakes Soapworks challenges come round so quick that this month I thought I wasn’t going to make it in time. I’ve had a busy month, attending a wedding in Barcelona and getting children ready to go back to school but I’ve done it, finally! I actually made 2 soaps on the same evening but I wasn’t overly impressed with the colours on my other one so decided on my first soap I made that night which my 2 eldest daughters said looked like The Northern Lights so that is where the name came from☺️

I started of as usual with my oils and lye solution at room temperature, I went with Amy’s suggested recipe but substituted lard for coconut oil and avocado oil for almond oil. This recipe worked really well and stayed really fluid while I poured the soap batter into my jug to set up for the pour of The Clyde Slide. I have been watching Clyde Yoshida of Vibrant Soaps since I started my soap making mission. He is fab and love watching his YouTube videos.

image

My fragrance this month is Neroli and Shea Blossom from Brambleberrys sister company in The Netherlands. It’s a beautiful Spa/floral scent and reminds me of a very famous neroli facial oil fragrance. It performed perfectly in cold process soap and kept the batter fluid.

image

image

My colour scheme I selected this month has 2 of my favourite colours again Turquoise and lime, then I picked purple, pink and black to go with them. I used Madoils micas for most and Brambleberrys Dreamy Aquamarine for the turquoise. I mixed the micas together again to get the colours I wanted.

image

image

I poured alternating colours into the back of my jug, opposite to the spout in a funnel type pour and then poured into the mould. I let the first pour slide a little bit and then poured forwards and backwards with the rest.

This is the result straight after pouring

image

I had a little bit of soap left over so just poured a few lines on top to do a swirled top, I’m happy with how this turned out but had to wait for it to thicken slightly because the soap batter was so fluid.

image

image

When I looked the next day I had soda ash again! I find that if I use a slow moving recipe I always get ash. Instead of cutting and then steaming/washing the bars, this time I washed the top before I unmoulded and left to dry before cutting.

image

image

These are the before and after pics ⬆️

I cut the soap and cleaned up so these are the pics of the seven bars I got out of my mould.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Thanks to Amy for another great challenge and Thanks to Clyde for sharing his Slide💕

Thankyou all for looking and good luck x

Carolyn x

image

Advertisements